Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty part 2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,123
Like?
no need
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Jul 22, 2013

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Mako, you're not being fair here. Nikon makes a mistake or has a bone headed policy and "that's the reality of dealing with humans". OP asks for confirmation in writing not realising the implications of doing so and it's all his fault.

Never once did I say it was all his fault (other thread). Only explained what happened from a diffrent perpective.

Why should anyone care about that different perspective?

Because the OP in the other case could have got his final resolution 6 weeks earlier had he understood the nuances ans reasoning behind there decisions. (never commented on the right or wrong of that specific decision/policy)

The customer does not need to learn or know anything about the camera manufacture or retail business in order to expect working gear.

No need to at all. Knowing though has certain advantages.

If it were me I'd be insisting on a full refund at this point (probably from the retailer but I'm not familiar with the intricacies of US consumer law).

Would most likely not happen. The retailer is under no responsibility (US) to meet your request. Pointless to demand for something that you might be used to getting in another country. For cerberusjf, that might have been an option

I'm no expert on US retail law

Understood.  That's why your perspective may not be as relevant to the case in the other thread. Might apply more to the Op's here though.

Furthermore by refusing to sell 3rd party repairers with parts and service software, Nikon has made itself the ONLY company that can repair a faulty camera in most circumstances.

In the US, that is correct and done by design. Turns out to be a pretty good business decision and has side benefits for the consumer as units are no longer getting bricked due to repair folks using the wrong software. Wasn't an issue pre-D7000.  Is now.

Assuming the OP's description is accurate Nikon appear in this particular case to be unable or unwilling to provide goods that are fit for purpose.

Assuming..... Also don't forget there are nuances to dealing with independent subsidiaries so when one says Nikon...they may not be talking about the same thing. For example, dealing with Nikon Japan can be a very different experience.

Well the alternative is to assume the OP is a liar. I have no reason to do that, and nor do you.

Unclear what our talking about in this case. Which OP? The guy in the US or Europe and lie about what?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow