D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,950
Like?
Re: Scaling images with BiCubic
In reply to The_Suede, Jul 22, 2013

Thanks for the additional technical info. My intent with my post was not to attempt the worlds best down-sample; more to quickly (since it was late) to get a more valid comparison between the two cameras by using IMO a superior raw converter. Frankly I'm more of a printer than a jpeg producer. A jpeg by definition is a compromise to me, and using something like a D800E to produce small jpegs to me is like mounting cheap hankooks on a Ferrari: somewhat pointless. But that's just my opinion.

I would also make a case that most consumers of web jpegs are looking at them on devices that are far from high quality, and likely could care less if the downsample was done in one shot or via some other method.

But should the time come when I need to do so, this info is handy, so I'll file it away somewhere. I upsample in increments (when needed) but never realized that the same approach would be appropriate for downsampling too.

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow