Started Jul 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KrisAK
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
W-LED Monitor Blues - Am I Nuts?
Jul 22, 2013

Has anyone else flat out rejected W-LED monitors for a post-calibration tendency towards 'cool' whites?

I purchased an HP zr2440w (W-LED IPS standard gamut) and plopped it next to my old S-PVA Lenovo, which I think has wide gamut.

I knew the HP wouldn't match and wouldn't have the freakish Technicolor pop of the PVA, but what I didn't expect (after calibrating both) was a distinct cool blue 'feel' to the HP images when sitting next to the PVA. Even when calibrated to a warmer white point, the reds still feel purple.

In researching this it seems that the W-LED technology has a strong bias towards blue, which I'd just assumed could be compensated for via calibration. But perhaps not entirely? Anyone else experience this?

I'm considering buying the Dell U2413, which has a different backlight technology and a more even spectral output. Maybe this would give me the purer greens and reds?

Or am I just being a specs-ninny? Thanks.

KrisAK's gear list:KrisAK's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow