5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,048
Like?
true that
In reply to Jay A, Jul 21, 2013

Jay A wrote:

The above LL statement assumes you are looking at the entire image at once and not zoomed in to match native resolution. (100% crop, for example)

On the other hand, if someone makes judgements by viewing the results only on his monitor, he is kidding himself. Yes, SOME comparisons can be made, but there is much more that cannot.

Unless you zoom in Then very easy to make valid comparison as long as you keep things equivalent. Only think you might not be able to compare is how the images look printed on a certain paper.

Again, I think you are limiting your discussion to seeing resolution differences between two different mp files. Is that all people do when they post comparison images from two cameras?

A monitor is still a monitor. It's resolution is still lower than that of a print.

Not necessarily. It really does have a lot to do with at what resolution you printed at and at what resolution you are examining the file/image. 100% crop for example is 1 to 1.

No, you can also compare CA, color, bokeh quality, etc. In this case, the primary differences are resolution and processing.

True to an extent. However, this assumes the monitor is calibrated correctly and doesn't introduce its own artifacts.

And mine is and doesn't

I don't think it is...if it were, then why even bother..I mean we all know a 36mp file is going to have more resolution than a 22mp file..don't we? Why bother viewing anything in that case? I think rather that when people post images and discuss differences between cameras like the D800 and the 5D MKIII, they are looking for more than just that in the images. If so, again I say a monitor is just not the right place to do so.

Not really the case at all as most images today never get printed and the primary display medium is a computer monitor (or iPad). It then only makes a certain sense (to some degree) to compare using the display medium most often used.

Just because "most images today never get printed and the primary display medium is a computer monitor or ipad" does not make this method of judgement any more valid.

Or less valid, in some cases.

That's almost like judging the capabilities of a 4K television with non 4K content and then stating that "well, this is the content that most people view nowadays."

Pluses and minuses to that approach

Getting back to the original post in this thread. The OP posted some downsized images comparing the 2 cameras and then made mention that he was called to task for having downsized them.

He also provided the RAW files, which many of us used for our comparison.

Which are STILL being judged on computer monitors.

At differing resolutions. You seem to think that folks are only examining the image framed as a whole vs examined in sections.

The feeling was that you cannot make a proper judgement based on downsized files. Well, essentially, viewing on a computer monitor is like doing the same thing. No, it may not be downsizing the original file but yes it is essentially limiting the file to 72 ppi.

No, you can indeed view at other resolutions. My monitor, for example is not set to 72ppi

Your monitor is only capable of only so much, no matter how good a monitor it is. It will not come close to what your camera is capable of producing.

Yes it can. The camera only produces a certain set of pixels. I can examine those pixes one to one or a number of other ways/resolutions. I can even examine the data that is used to "render" those pixeles. What I can not do...is compare how the image will look on certain paper but can still "soft proof" if I wish. In some ways, it's far better to compare on a monitor. It's cheaper and you don't have to waist funds printing really really big to get a comparable image.

It is unfair to judge these photos like that, as they are capable of much better. On the other hand, a print will not have this limitation. It will show more flaws (and good) than a monitor can. I guess if you are satisfied with viewing differences on a monitor, it works for you...but my point is that it is only a very limited comparison that you are making and you may be missing out on much more important aspects of the file.

Not necessarily...what if you're comparing the to images printed at only 8x10 from a dot matrix printer

If you were, I would say you are making an even bigger mistake.

True that

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow