What's a really good lens to take to an aquarium?

Started Jul 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
GlennW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
Re: What's a really good lens to take to an aquarium?
In reply to Smiller4128, Jul 21, 2013

Smiller4128 wrote:

Hello,

I picked up my D7100 and 16-85mm Nikon Lens just a couple of months ago and have been loving it! I wasn't sure about making the switch from Canon (T4i) but I'm very happy I did. I've taken it everywhere with me so far! Small weekend trips, hikes along the river, even to Catalina island! However, I'm looking at going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium in a few weeks and was thinking I might need a better lens for the low light conditions. I was thinking of picking up the 35mm 1.8 but I'm not sure if that'd be the best option or not so I'm looking for some advice and recommendations?

With your D7100, the 16-85 will be fine for general zoo/aquarium pictures. You may want something longer only if whales are out in the bay. The close focus ability helps. You could get a close focus achromat filter to cut the focus distance. A plarizer will be needed for the glass.

A 35 1.8 may be fine for low light.

The 10.5mm could be cool to get some video. not sure what kind of "big tank" they may have. Would be a different view if they do any whale/dolphin show.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow