Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty part 2

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,386
Like?
Lets hope
In reply to cerberusjf, Jul 21, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

"What I am trying to say, is not, that Nikon do not make fualts - I think they do - but I just want to hang the man who stoled the horse. Not his best friend."

I just wanted to reply to this post, but the previous thread is now locked.

The 1979 consumer protection act gives consumer rights and the seller is responsible for the equipment they sell. This is different from a warranty.

Amazon returns policy is here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_502480_top_rsp?nodeId=1161002

“If a product becomes defective after 30 days you won't be able to return it using our Online Returns Centre. You may wish to visit the manufacturer's website or contact them directly as they may be able to offer troubleshooting and support with the issue you have with the product. Alternatively, please Contact Us.”

Nikon has a manufacturer’s warranty.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/service_support/Support_Manufacturers_Warranty.page?lid=1&lidsub1=0&lidsub2=0&lidsub3=0&lidsub4=0&sParamValueLbl=&sParamValue=&dcr=

In it, they state “YOUR NIKON EQUIPMENT IS GUARANTEED AGAINST ANY MANUFACTURING DEFECTS FOR ONE FULL YEAR FROM THE DATE OF THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE. If during this period of guarantee the product proves defective due to improper material or workmanship, our authorised service network in European countries will, without charge for labour and parts, repair the product in the terms and conditions set as below.”

Whatever Amazon’s policy is and what the consumer rights are, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect Nikon to repair a faulty piece of equipment, is it? Nikon have the workshops and staff or outsourced companies and agents that carry out repairs. Nikon failed to fix the real and potential problems with my camera, in fact they made it almost unusable as a dslr because of the front-focus THEY caused.

And now you have a new camera so hard to understand the need to keep the disscussion going. You would have even had it sooner had you not made a certain demand. To date, seems they made good on their warranty.

Also, Nikon have been far from helpful in getting the matter resolved. They are unable to give proper instructions, they make promises they don’t keep, they insist that all equipment that goes through the workshop is thoroughly checked before being returned in spite of clear evidence to the contrary, they don’t seem to know their own systems, insisting that all warranty repair work was handled by Nikon (Richmond) and tried to void my warranty because I had sent my camera to a company in Newcastle-under-Lyme, when in fact every warranty repair label Nikon sent me (except one) was for this company and I had only sent my camera to them using the Nikon system - and there is more I could complain about.

You also had an affect on the service your received. It would be unrealistic to assume you had zero effect on the outcome. That's simply the realities of dealing with humans.

In short, Amazon may have had a slight part to play, but they have been really excellent 99% of the time. I don’t blame Amazon. The source of all the problems (repairs not carried out, wrong or incomplete instructions given, time being wasted) is CLEARLY Nikon.

Yes, your experience could have been a better one. It's not really the norm. The norm is some place in between the two extremes, IMO. Lets hope all parties involved improve.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow