Damselfly - almost but not quite!

Started Jul 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
bradtort
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Another attempt
In reply to bradtort, Jul 21, 2013

Although no one expresses any love for this photo, I think it is potentially interesting if I can pull of the lighting and focus.

This morning I went out and stalked the damselfly.

I ran off quite a few shots, but only one was close to being in focus.  And once again they were underexposed.  I need to dial in about +.7 to +1.

I think the emphasis on the face is improved, and the lighting has more dramatic impact, but the underexposure has created murky areas.   I guess I could do a better job of massaging it in PS Elements, but the shot needs to be improved in other ways that aren't the fault of image processing.

I'm struggly with focus.  I've tried autofocus with single-focus point and it fails most of the time.  Expanding to a higher number of points doesn't help.

Manually focusing just doesn't work for me.  These are hand held, and what looks like it's in focus through the viewfinder almost never is.  Tripod/monopod wouldn't work for these creatures.

I've never really used live view.   Do people use it for macro?

bradtort's gear list:bradtort's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow