My thoughts on the G15 after 6 months

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
G15, assigning manual controls
In reply to elpols, Jul 21, 2013

elpols wrote:

but I'm not understanding how I can control aperture and shutter in M mode. The manual says that the circular dial on the back and and front dial control settings. In M mode, my front dial does nothing. What am I missing?

In M mode press the metering button (the one left of menu button). You'll see a tiny green control dial moving among metering mode, shutter speed and aperture. Then with the control dial you can modify the values.

Right.

bjornsen and elpols:

One more thing, you can customize this behavior and assign dedicated controls for both aperture and shutter speed. For example, you might want the front dial to set aperture and the rear dial to set shutter speed (my reasoning here is that the first is near the lens and the latter is near the sensor).

This would be far more convenient and straightforward as you would no longer have to always pay a confusing (at least to me) visit to metering mode selection in the way from setting aperture back to setting shutter speed.

On the other hand, if you are happy with these three settings sharing the one rear dial, then you can assign the pretty useful step-zoom control to the front dial (or white balance, DR correction etc. for that matter).

Just go to menu, "Set П Ø Func." and pick your choices. It pays to experiment!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow