Worthy successor for the Fujifilm FinePix F31fd?

Started Jul 21, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shurato
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Worthy successor for the Fujifilm FinePix F31fd?
Jul 21, 2013

I've got a Fujifilm FinePix F31fs for 6 years now and to me it's still one of the best pocketable cameras for taking good quality photos even up to this day. It's just that it tends to start having some quirks now after this many years of use and I'm starting to look for a possible "successor" which would take over the main job of my FinePix cam.

The key-features I truly appreciate of the F31fd are:

• compact, lightweight and very pocketable
  • larger 1/1.7" sensor
  • very responsive, fast startup
  • excellent image quality up to ISO 800 and ISO 1600 pretty ok too
  • outstanding battery life with taking approx. 550 photos with one charge

and I'm looking for a potential successor having all of these features above however it seems the ones I were looking at just aren't fitting the bill. These include:

• Canon S100/S110
    Would be kinda the "most logical" successor in terms of pocketability and image quality. My gripe about this one is the battery life: Only 200 shots (CIPA).
  • Olympus XZ-2 iHS
    Pretty good image quality from hearsay however to me more on the unpocketable side.
  • Nikon Coolpix P330
    If that one had a battery life of 500 (CIPA) then it would be my first choice; and a max. aperture of F1.8 would be the ideal cam for low light photography, which I also love doing.
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
    That would be my "go pro" solution with its 1" sensor. Costs more however. And, less pocketable when being nit-picky, albeit still on the good side of the reasonable, and battery life 330 (CIPA). I'm kinda adamant for a battery life of 500 shots; it came in handy several times with my FinePix.
  • Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300
    Now here we're talking in terms of pocketability and battery life. Sony promises up to 500 shots, which is pretty fair and has very similar dimensions as the F31fd.
    However it has a smaller sensor with 1/2.3" and a high pixel count on top of that and I'm somewhat concerned about image quality, especially in the ISO 800 range. My main question here, would a 1/2.3" sensor with a 18m pixel count with nowaday's technology match the quality of a 6 years old technology of a 1/1.7" sensor and 6m pixels? I.e. when down-scaling 18mpix to 6mpix. Though one thing I gotta say is that the max. aperture of F3.5 isn't on the exciting side either.
    However its 20x zoom is indeed a nice feature.

To sum it up, would there be another pocketable pro-sumer camera I would have overlooked fitting the key-features as the F31fd? The ability of taking RAW is a nice-to-have feature however not super-necessary to me. My main criteria are excellent out-of-the-box (JPEG) image quality also at higher ISO settings, pocketability and battery life. Oh yeah, and HDR or/and DRO would be nice too with today's technology, this is one thing I kinda miss in my F31fd

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus XZ-2 iHS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow