D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,110Gear list
Like?
The crops have been the forgotten comparison.
In reply to SubPrime, Jul 21, 2013

SubPrime wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison.

Based on my own test, it seems the outcome has much to do with the choice of raw converter and the resizing algorithm. Anyone can download a copy of Capture One 7 and repeat this if they want. The D800E images look sharper and more contrasty to me and there is visibly more detail.

5DIII

D800E

Whether you downsize the whole image or a crop, you are still throwing away detail are you not?

The raw files you originally provided obviously show more detail in the D800E file.

This is absolutely true. I made it very clear that for up-sampling purposes, there is no need for a comparison which was my way of saying that the D800E (a 36 MP sensor to keep it generic) captures more information, a point I have hammered home time and time again here and at the Canon forum.
I intended to make the following the subjet of a separate post with a subject line to the effect: cropping a section out of an image and then down-sizng the crop to 1800x1200 is not the same thing as down-sizng the entire image. But you've offered me a seque to point out that not all 1800x1200 images are equal and a fine example of such.

I've downloaded anothermike's down-sized uncropped ff images processed with Capture One and have determined that the D800E image has the most resolution by a hair though it has to be discerned at closer than normal viewing distances but which is still consistent with the main theme: diminishing return.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow