D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,778Gear list
Like?
ACR vs. Capture One
In reply to anotherMike, Jul 21, 2013

anotherMike wrote:

One item I might describe as a "flaw" (excuse my choice of words, it's late) in your test was your choice of ACR for raw conversion. I've always found it to be a bit better for Canon files than for Nikon, and I think that might be impacting your results. Obviously if you are set on ACR as your converter, then my experiment would be of no use to you.

Yes, I am sort of landlocked with ACR but an excellent point nonetheless. The squabbling elsewhere is coming down to my use of Adobe Standard for both brands and not equalizing further. I used to own capture One back in the day but I don't remember much about it.

So I used something I deem a bit nicer than ACR for this comparison - version 1.05 of photo ninja and have provided the 1800x1200 (or so) max quality jpegs from the conversion. Frankly at this much reduction, it's a toss.

Legitimate observation. Thanks so much. While I tend to agree with this assessment generally, I will disagree with critical viewing in mind. Bear with me just a moment.
I downloaded both images and have examined them at full size on my monitor, an NEC2690, at closer than normal viewing distances. To my eye, your D800 rendering has more resolution than your 5D3 rendering or my D800 rendering. I would specifically direct you to the street at the horizon for comparison purposes. This is a critical distance in my images for my tastes.

You did not mention all of the steps involved in your downsizing. You alluded to downsizing in CS5. Did you convert at full size so there was but one step to 1800x1200? This perhaps could be where our paths diverge.

There is some very slight contrast difference remaining, although I think this is a closer comparison, and some color differences, but I still would tend to say at this point (1800x1200 downsize) neither camera really does anything the other can't do. Downsizing done in CS5 using bicubic sharper.

Anyway, certainly not enough difference for all the arguing and venom in this thread - which I won't participate in other than to provide these photo-ninja converted jpegs.

Nikon at 1800x1201 pixels, converted by photo-ninja at default settings, using high quality demosaic option

Nikon version (conversion: photo ninja. downsize: bicubic sharper in cs5)

Canon version, also converted in photo ninja, default settings, using highest quality demosaic option. Downsized in cs5 the same way.

Canon version (conversion: photo ninja. Downsize: bicubic sharper in cs5)

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow