D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
LMCasey
Contributing MemberPosts: 564Gear list
Like?
Re: First off, thank you for actually looking at the RAWs...
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jul 21, 2013

Rick,

I opened the raws using the same process and camera profile in ACR 6.7. The parameters used in ACR were the same for both files. No sharpening was applied during conversion. Both files were then resized in PS using bicubic to a long side of 1800. At this point, I looked at sharpening parameters using both smart sharpen and USM. It's at this point that I've got to say that I would probably be lying if I said I saw a difference. If anything, it may be possible that the D800E version has very slightly lower contrast. In the end you have images that are extremely similar.

And yes, I was referring to reversal in my last comment. In an earlier peak at your two raws (from your other thread), when looking at 100% after converting, you can see the D800 file does indeed contain more information (has resolved more detail), and that the Canon image looks a bit muddy in spots (AA?) Therefore, if you see something "less" in the final converted Nikon jpeg than you do in the final Canon jpeg, then it's something you've done along the way.

I don't know if I've been helpful at all, but I've tried. Yes these forums can be challenging, I agree with you on that.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow