D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,652Gear list
Like?
Re: Way to put 5D III curve into D800E or PS for raw conversion?
In reply to Bills nature photo, Jul 21, 2013

Bills nature photo wrote:

The Canon default curve appears to have higher contrast and maybe saturation setting than does the Nikon default curve which looks quite bland. You can fix it in post, but would be nice it started a little snappier without going to the over the top setting like Vivid.

One wonders then, how to arrive at the base difference between the two sensors for the purposes of comparing and contrasting with a method agreeable to everyone outside of a lab.

Aside: During a Google search for another response in this thread, I ran across mention of a 3rd party software providing camera profiles that can turn your Nikon RAW image into one with a Canon look, Leica, many cameras. There were several links in the search leading to threads on DPR among other sites in addition to the maker's website. I wonder if using one of these profiles for both RAWs could quiet the objections without manually manipulating the files. By the way, I've purchased 3rd party profiles before and while they are handy for a standardized starting point, they provide nothing that can't be done (or undone?) manually further into the process. What I can't do is replicate a Leica camera look (unless it is by accident) which I think might be cool to do. I'll have to dig up that name again.

Vivid is horrid.

Thanks for the courteous and helpful response.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow