D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,508Gear list
Like?
D700 vs. D800
In reply to Jon Rty, Jul 21, 2013

Jon Rty wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Though I am being held by many in this thrfead to a standard nearing perfection, I'll let this imperfection slide.

Okay, great. You need this. And, by the way, this is what I hoped folks would do for themselves.

So, what is your conclusion regarding resolution now that you've equalized the files properly.

No, not near perfection, not just completely different. As others already showed, even standard settings produce shots much closer to each other than what you posted.

The point of the first set of images posted in this leg of the comparison which you seem to keep missing isn't to produce identical looking images for a casual viewer. It was intended to show the end results of a similar workflow. It is but one of several ways to compare images I believe an intelligent person would or should conduct if they have the opportunity. There are equalized images elsewhere.

To me, equalizing means to equalize the settings, to the degree that is available to the typical user, in order to see what the native differences are. You seem to be using the term like it is used in audio for non-comparison purposes. Fair enough. All you've done is processed the image differently than I have for a given environment. We all know that one can use Photoshop to give an image any look desired. Thanks for illustrating that. Most people want to see the native differences though.

Without references of my own, I can't, in all good conscience, call into question your statement regarding the Adobe Standard Profile. Suffice it to say that going 6 pages deep into a Google search, I could find no documentation one way or another from Adobe that Adobe Standard is individually calibrated for each camera which is not to say it isn't there somewhere. If you have that reference handy, please post it.

But, let's say you are right, I could find no one else on the Internet besides yourself who believes one can't use the Adobe Standard profile to compare camera/lens combos of different cameras. In fact, it seems it is the standard profile for this type of thing outside of review sites. Aside: if you are right, one wonders how a native difference in sensors can be produced by the typical consumer.

IWO, your processing while valid on one level could be bogus on another depending on what the goals are. IMO of course. Your goal seems to be discrediting my posts. I had to otherwise drag a conclusion out of you.

My conclusion is the same everyone has been saying the whole thread, if you downsize to 2Mp, there are no differences in resolution to be seen anymore.

Let me help you with this last part: "...there are no differences in resolution that I [Jon Rty] can see anymore." I believe your conclusion is a valid one, by the way. It is what you are seeing.

Though I understand the "safety in numbers" fall back (again, check the fallacy website), what "everyone" else thinks is irrelevant (why? because we don't understand the motivations involved - and this "everyone" else entity has grossly miscalculated my motivations).

I would urge all to conduct their own comparisons as you have.

I would disagree wholeheartedly with a blanket statement that every down-sizing to 2 MB would produce "no differences in resolution".

You could do the same with a 5D and the D800, and reach the same conclusion.

This might be true for certain down-sizings but not for the reasons you are trying to imply. We would just have to see the results. You have to prove your assertions here buddy with a process we can all agree on. If you have a D700 and a D800, let's keep this in the family and post up some RAWs of a scene with reasonable detail and let's have a look-see.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow