Pentax as first DSLR?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,499Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax as first DSLR?
In reply to yardcoyote, Jul 21, 2013

Pentax cameras are a great value. They have excellent ergonomics and are full-featured from the "entry-level" on. Including weather sealing, 2 dials, micro-focus adjustment, intervallometer and much much more. They are very well built and a real joy to use. I can say that my k5 feels better than anything from Canikon at the same price range. (I've used most canons and Nikon D7000). I'd recommend a Pentax over any other aps-c camera, unless you want to go full-frame or if you are serious about sports or video.

Pentax lens are very good, i think the complaints are unfounded. With any dslr, you'll get better results if you are willing to upgrade the kit lens (not that the kits are bad though). Pentax has the broadest choice of small and excellent aps-c primes, and the only one offering budget weather-sealed lens.

Older manual focus lens are excellent and work very well. You even get focus confirmation and trap-focus without accessories. There are many fans of "vintage" glass here, me included. If you have old Pentax glass, you regret not having a Pentax dslr.

I would recommend a split-image focusing screen, or the canon-eeS focusing screen used on 1D series cameras, especially if you plan on using primes. I got mine at focusingscreens.com, it's well worth the upgrade. Make sure the K30/K50 accept focusing screens, I am not sure. The K5/K5ii certainly do.

There is plenty of info here about how to make the best of your old lens. Pentax has gone out of its way to make it easy and effective, using the green button, Av mode, etc. But i won't elaborate here.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow