Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Correct
In reply to cerberusjf, Jul 21, 2013

cerberusjf wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

Yes - it's better than you got - because you did it wrong.

In Europe (EU) you are not a customer to Nikon or anybody else manufactorer - you are a customer to the vendor - and the vendor can't pass away you to the manufactorer - the warranty is the vendors responsability, so is the law (as you found out).

I think it is one or two "strikes" they got to repair (don't quite remember) then it is replacing.

And of course the warranty-cost is absorbed in the Price - no one gives it away - not that I have heard of.

If the vendor was trying to cheat on you, why blame Nikon.

BirgerH

I knew nothing about the consumer protection laws a year ago. These laws have fairly recently been introduced. I thought consumers were only covered by the t&c of the vendor. The vendor's (Amazon) t&c only state they state a 30 day return policy. I contacted them about the problem with the camera just after the 30 days were up and they passed me on to Nikon. The company Nikon outsourced the warranty repairs to, did not find the fault, so how could I ask Amazon for another camera if Nikon said there was nothing wrong with it?

I don't know about UK - but the EU-rules were implemented in Danish law, I'm sure more than twenty years ago. I am but very sure, yhat all countries in EU did this implantation straight ahead - you know "the free integration of goods".

The camera was covered by a 2 year warranty to repair any problems with it. The warranty work is carried out by Nikon, it is up to them and their subsidiaries to carry out the work.

Thats not your problem - problem belongs to the seller - too if the expanded Nikon warranty is a part of the deal between you and the seller.

The warranty is with Nikon.

NO - it's not - the 2 years warranty as told in the law is with the seller. And no one else.

Nikon can have expanded warranty-rules (having better conditions to the customer than the law), in that case these rules will apply the rules of law - but they can never take away the sellers reponsability to the law. And these conditions may tell you, who they response to.

The fact that Nikon did not find the top focus point fault until the camera's third visit to them IS Nikon's fault.

Yes - but it should never have been three visits.

I guess, in UK too, there is an independent authority to use long before that??

The fact that Nikon turned a possible slight back-focus problem into a massive front-focus problem IS Nikon's fault.

Nikon are the ones doing it wrong.

I am someone who much prefers to get things repaired than replaced. I get the impression Nikon would rather drive customers back to the vendor to claim under the consumer protection law than do any repairs under warranty.

Where do you get this two "strikes" rule?

I will try to find it - maybee it is only a Danish supplement to the law. Every country can make such, they just cant make the law worse to the customer. We do have an independent authority to tell the seller and/or the customer how to handle unagreements when dealing. And to find out if a subject has faults or not.

What I am trying to say, is not, that Nikon do not make fualts - I think they do - but I just want to hang the man who stoled the horse. Not his best friend.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
TrueNew
NoNew
AllNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow