D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,953
Like?
Quick thoughts after using another raw converter (to add fuel to fire)
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jul 21, 2013

One item I might describe as a "flaw" (excuse my choice of words, it's late) in your test was your choice of ACR for raw conversion. I've always found it to be a bit better for Canon files than for Nikon, and I think that might be impacting your results.  Obviously if you are set on ACR as your converter, then my experiment would be of no use to you.

So I used something I deem a bit nicer than ACR for this comparison - version 1.05 of photo ninja and have provided the 1800x1200 (or so) max quality jpegs from the conversion. Frankly at this much reduction, it's a toss. There is some very slight contrast difference remaining, although I think this is a closer comparison, and some color differences, but I still would tend to say at this point (1800x1200 downsize) neither camera really does anything the other can't do. Downsizing done in CS5 using bicubic sharper.

Anyway, certainly not enough difference for all the arguing and venom in this thread - which I won't participate in other than to provide these photo-ninja converted jpegs.

Nikon at 1800x1201 pixels, converted by photo-ninja at default settings, using high quality demosaic option

Nikon version (conversion: photo ninja. downsize: bicubic sharper in cs5)

Canon version, also converted in photo ninja, default settings, using highest quality demosaic option. Downsized in cs5 the same way.

Canon version (conversion: photo ninja. Downsize: bicubic sharper in cs5)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow