D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Bills nature photo
Regular MemberPosts: 368
Like?
Re: Way to put 5D III curve into D800E or PS for raw conversion?
In reply to Rick Knepper, 9 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

Bills nature photo wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

yray wrote:

. The D800 image in this example appears washed out even though I believe that at the pixel level it contains more fine detail.

That's because different curves were used for the images. It has nothing to do with "fine details" and "micro-contrast".

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

While that is true for the first set, it is not true of the 2nd set.

It is true for both images.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

I agree that the curves are quite different and I must say that I like the curves applied to the 5D III image much better than the standard Nikon curves. Is there an easy way to upload a Canon like curve into D800 or Photoshop for processing D800E raw files to have the contrast curve of the 5D III?

-- hide signature --

Too much glass...too little time

TOF guy failed to answer my question. Maybe you'll be so kind as to tell me what type of curve are you referring to i.e. a PPing Curve as found in Photoshop?

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Hi Rick,

Yes I guess.  I am referring to the tone curve which you adjust in Photoshop post processing.  You can change it in part by selecting "camera profile" versus "Adobe profile" under the camera tab of ARC raw converter.  In the old days you could upload tone curves, but I haven't seen anyone offer a set of Tone curves, that will make a Nikon have a similar tone curve to the standard Canon default tone curve.    As many have pointed out,   The Canon default curve appears to have higher contrast and maybe saturation setting than does the Nikon default curve which looks quite bland.  You can fix it in post, but would be nice it started a little snappier without going to the over the top setting like Vivid.

Bill

-- hide signature --

Too much glass...too little time

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow