D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kaj E
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,865Gear list
Like?
Re: You are wrong and missed the point.
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jul 21, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

If you only need 1800x1200 pixel output both cameras are overkill for your needs.

Reread.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Why buy a high resolution camera if all you are intersted in is size reduction. You wrote:

>"The criticism came mainly from those whose applications apparently call for enlargement. I mean, >do we even need to see such a comparison? Can’t we just stipulate that more MPs will >always help in Printing Large.

>It is that other 95% of photographers and their applications (myself included) which >involve reductions that need some special illumination. I am sure this percentage could be >hotly debated but for example, 100% of my applications involve reductions.

>My primary application: create 1800x1200 images for display on my NEC 2690 monitor. There are >future applications I am consideing but I will save that discussion for the end of this post. >1800x1200 isn’t a typical web-sized image, it’s nearly as physically large as a 13x19 print when >viewed on my monitor though the dimensions are significantly reduced from its originals. I don’t >know what pixel pitch folks are viewing with or how DPI factors into how others view these files.

>So, we know information is being thrown away as we down-size, but what is the point >at which too much information has been thrown away?"

Downsizing always reduces IQ (resolution), there is no magic point of dimishishing returns. When you print you should never downsize, only upsize if needed to acheive max printer native resolution (720ppi for Epson 600ppi files for Canon printers). This means you don't even have to print large.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=48894.0

See Jeff schewe's comment at end of page 1.

If you need to downsize for your output the D800 and 5D3 are overkill, provided your lenses and technique (inlcuding diffraction and lens aberrations) are up to snuff.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow