D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,295Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to Jon Rty, 9 months ago

Jon Rty wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

And yet, is it your job to advise me as to what my job is? I suggest that you debug your logic before posting.

Do you have these hardware calibrated profiles handy? if so, send them over and I will be glad to re-conduct the comparison.

I used the "former", same settings including the same profile, Adobe Standard, which is available to everyone who uses ACR. However, I would like for TOF guy to confirm that he was refrring to camera profiles when he used the term "Curve".

Suffice it to say that the images have been neutralized to the best of my ability and consistent with other resolution comparisons posted here in the past and where you haven't brought into question the camera profile used.

For the first set of images in this thread, I used profiles developed for each individual model.

I have provided the RAWs. You are welcomed to show me how to neutralize the files for the purpose of comparing resolutions. Hint: a camera profile should not get in the way of comparing resolutions. I think most objective readers understand the difference between resolution and a tone curve.

I'll repeat the following:

"a camera profile should not get in the way of comparing resolutions. I think most objective readers understand the difference between resolution and a tone curve."

Not trying to be combative here so bear with me. I do not want the thread to get locked. Do you know the difference between a tone curve and resolution when you see it? I bet you do. So, I bet most everyone looking in can make the distinction too - eventually.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Nothing wrong with my logic. I'd suggest you don't use strawman arguments.

Are you kidding me? Your post is the epitome of Strawman.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

I'm one of the readers who's behavior you presume to control. I'm certainly entitled to inform you that you presume too much.

Presume to control? Look at the link man. Help yourself.

I can't provide a hardware calibrated profile for *your* cameras, as I don't have access to them. You need to have a camera to be able to properly profile it, just like with a display. If you want to do that, invest in a ColorChecker or similar.

"Adobe Standard" is a different profile for each camera model. Hence the delay between release of a new camera and ACR support. You can think of it like Adobe 5DIII Standard and Adobe D800E Standard. They're two separate profiles producing differing results. Adobe doesn't provide profiles that match the output across camera models, you'll have to do that yourself.

Contrast affects resolution, as resolution is measured at a contrast level. Curves affect contrast. As a profile directly affects the tone curve and thus contrast, saying that a profile "shouldnt?" affect resolution just doesn't make any sense. That's basically saying that a profile shouldn't affect the tone-curve or contrast, which is impossible. All conversions need to apply a tone curve.

Here are the two RAWs you posted, quickly matched by eye-balling. Far from perfect,

Though I am being held by many in this thrfead to a standard nearing perfection, I'll let this imperfection slide.

but as good as I'll get them with the time I'm willing to invest:

Okay, great. You need this. And, by the way, this is what I hoped folks would do for themselves.

So, what is your conclusion regarding resolution now that you've equalized the files properly.

One

Two

All I did was adjust curves and white balance. And here's one of the above with contrast removed.

Flat

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow