5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 vs D800E: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Jul 21, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Karl Gnter Wnsch wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

These are what I did by upsampling 5DIII file to the same size of D800E in CS6, everything is default/zero setting in ACR, the steps everyone can duplicate. Certainly you can see difference by pixel peeping but is pretty small even at D800E full size.

I would suggest you stop pixel peeping for once and look at the picture as a (partial) whole - The image on the left is far more pleasing than the washed out one on the right. You need to start tossing the idiotic amount of DR compressed into the right image - the trees below the building have no depth whatsoever and that is down to the too large DR that was captured on the right and "preserved" in processing.

They both have about the same amount of resolution but the one on the right has more DR - to the detriment of the picture as a whole!

then might I suggest you learn to post process to avoid this detriment. Geeesh.

-- hide signature --

regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

I can't for the life of me see what's wrong with the D800E in this image.  It's not as contrasty, but why is that a bad thing?  It's easy to see the details.  In addition, if you want more contrast, just change the tone curve.  I worked a bit with the raw files originally in DXO Optics, and, like ACR, the Canon is by default a lot more contrasty.  It's easy to make the images look identical (except for resolution - which the D800E has a bit more of).

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow