Canon 300mm f2.8 L ii vs Sigma 300mm f2.8.

Started Jul 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,824Gear list
Like?
Canon 300mm f2.8 L ii vs Sigma 300mm f2.8.
Jul 20, 2013

This is NOT an attempt to flame anyone.

It's just very interesting.

Today I was at the National Aquathon/Aquatholon Championship in Galway where I was using my 1Div and 300mm Sigma f2.8 as well as a 24-105L. A photographer I know was using a 5diii and a 300mm f2.8 L IS ii. I asked to swap lenses and took about 20 shots with his. I expected that the AF would be faster, more accurate and the lens much sharper. In fact, I was certain of it.

I got home and eagerly downloaded my shots and examined them.

The AF was not faster. It was no more accurate. The in-focus shots were maybe a little sharper but we're taking a tiny amount here. They were no more contrasty. I was amazed. I find that if I photoraph soccer etc., I get nearly everything sharp. When I photograph running I probably push things to an extreme where I expect the camera or lens to do what it can't do. BUT the Canon was clearly no better.

I remain amazed.

Here are two I like from the Sigma. If anyone wants I'll upload ALL the Canon shots at full resolution.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow