D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Re: D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to mbloof, Jul 20, 2013

This is what often happens when hobbyists become overly obsessed with the gear and end up failing to see the real issue, i.e., making an effort towards actually producing photographic images that have both content and context.  But of course the technical gear side of the discipline is the easy stuff and it is more readily quantified.  And so they tend to delve into the gear and technical dialogue without hesitation.

'Boys and their toys' (and generally with too much time on their hands and too much money to spend) is what the photo manufacturing industry loves. Profitability is their reward.  btw, I highly recommend reading Pierre Bourdieu's Photography: A Middle-brow Art

imho, this sort of stuff can just get too tedious and somewhat absurd. But I doubt it will ever end as long as there are people more interested in the technical side of photography.  It was actually the same way back in the film days with the 'geezers' arguing relentlessly about developers and 'proper' printing techniques, and the 'rendering' of esoteric lenses, etc..  But each to their own, and if they truly enjoy the gear over the end product (i.e., compelling images which attract an audience) then more power to them.  There's nothing inherently wrongwith liking hardware.  And hey, it also keeps DPReview/Amazon profitable too, which is why this forum even exists in the first place.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow