Pentax as first DSLR?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,625Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax as first DSLR?
In reply to Unexpresivecanvas, Jul 20, 2013

Unexpresivecanvas wrote:

FTR, SAFOX II was a single-point AF system used in the Z-series film cameras. The versions currently used are SAFOX IX+ (645D), SAFOX IXi+ (K-30, K-50, K-500) and SAFOX X (K-5 II, K-5 IIs). All have 11 AF points, 9 of them being cross type.

The 5D's AF system was only a minor update over the 20D's one; nothing as impressive as you'd like us to believe. Many complained about the accuracy with AF points other than the center one (the only cross-type it had).

If that's the case, how do you explain these two recent popular threads (from two senior members) in the Pentax forum just bringing up the deficiencies of the current SAFOX inmplementation in new Pentax cameras?

Oh boy, you're trying to prove the aged 5D's AF is "way more advanced" not by proving its capabilities, but attacking the SAFOX.

a) Why Pentax AF can be a Pain in the @$$ Sometimes : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3515570

A post starting with "So for the most part the Pentax AF system is great and very capable regardless of what some people might think.".

b) Tired of my slow K-5:"I just got back from an Alaska cruise 2 weeks ago. My longest lens was the DA 55-300mm lens. For years, I've read posts how slow Pentax DSLRs are but I just ignored that until now. My K-5 plus a DA 55-300mm are just useless for taking photos of the whales and bald eagles." http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3514984

User error: he was raising the camera to his eye only after the whales surfaced. People posted whale pictures taken with Pentax on the same thread - the camera is definitely up to the task. If the user is.

I'm not saying the SAFOX cannot/should not be improved; it definitely could/should. But it's not that bad, either - my gripe with it for things like tracking is it's low AF point count and large AF point size. And indeed, it can focus on the wrong thing if given the chance.

A true AF tracking, fast, high AF points count, which detects the subject's color, is something that neither Pentax nor the 5D has.

You mean lower resolution and yellowish color, from a camera that might work for another year or two? :

Oh boy, another one that confuses megapixel counts with image quality.... Regarding the 5D colors, this is the distinction of such a great camera: the image quality and color rendition of the 5D can't be replicated by any other modern camera, even Full Frames or little aps-cs. What you are misleading the conversation is about the greenish or yellowish color of the little back screen of the 5D. That has been recognized as a fact and a limitation, due to its age. But is not related to the quality of the images coming out of the sensor. Just do a quick search in many forums or visit the POTN or Flickr to be amazed.

Who said anything about megapixels? My camera, a Pentax APS-C DSLR, captures more detail than the 5D.

Do you seriously believe the 5D is better than "any other modern camera"? Even medium format?

The value of the 5D is not related to sentimental reasons. It's practical reasons. This machine keeps going on and on. For the image quality, colors it delivers, it is a steal of a camera and the most affordable and reliable FF solution. Of course, the Canon 5D Mark III is more advanced or the Nikon D800. The value of the old 5D is in the sensor and the outstanding colors and image quality. It is a very basic camera with an accurate focusing system and light metering. No electronic gimmicks or technical distractions.

Recall due to mirror falling (literally). Users (some of them professionals, not that it matters) saying they only trust the center AF point. Said users upgrading to later models and being happier.

Are you sure it's not sentimental?

Thiis what Fred Miranda still says about the 5D: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=296

Marketing speak. And nothing of that is impressive, applying the current standards.

My camera has 16MP, PRIME II processor, 11 AF points (9 cross type), 3.0" LCD, weather sealed alloy body, it can shoot at 7fps for ~24 RAW frames, the shutter is also tested for 100000 exposures and it has many new features the 5D could not even dream about. Some would call that average

The new Canon EOS 5D offers advanced photographers a lightweight, robust digital SLR that uses Canon's superlative EF lenses without a conversion factor. Its full-frame 12.8 Megapixel CMOS sensor combines with Canon's DIGIC II Image Processor, a high-precision 9-point AF system with 6 assist points, and "Picture Style" color control to deliver images of superior quality with enough resolution for any application. With its wide-angle capabilities, 2.5 inch LCD and magnesium-alloy body, the 5D is the perfect addition to the Digital EOS line

DIGIC II Image Processor for outstanding image quality and performance - 3.0 fps for up to 60 consecutive JPEG or 17 RAW frames in a burst.

New "Picture Style" function for superior command of in-camera color, contrast and sharpness.
High-precision 9-point AF with 6 additional Supplemental points surrounding the center point for superior focus tracking.

Strong and light magnesium-alloy body with new shutter durability-tested to 100,000 exposures.
Compatible with over 50 Canon EF lenses and most EOS System accessories.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow