D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
Re: You've missed the point somewhat.
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jul 20, 2013

Rick wrote:

There is NO such thing as two identical images even coming from the same camera/lens combo shot 1/10th of a second apart. Changing light, shutter speeds not exactly perfect calibrated, vibration from the first shot affecting the 2nd if shooting quick bursts. It all can be nit-picked.

All parameters can be controlled: light certainly. In fact the light does not change between the image you took in a significant way. Shutter speeds may be mis-calibrated but the difference is negligible for the comparison. BTW regarding "same camera" there is a difference between calibration (match a given standard) and reproducibility (may not match a standard but repeat the same results again and again). Camera shutter speeds are very reproducible.

The scene can be controlled (i.e. pick a day w/o wind in your case). It remains that the scene is more alive in one image than the other. We're very subjective when coming to comparing pictures. This will influence the judgment on "which camera is better". This was used by Canon's marketing department in several examples: FF vs. cropped sensor comes to mind. Hair well brushed for the image with the FF camera, slightly ruffed for the lesser one, subject having a slightly different and more flattering pose in the  FF image. Objects in background moved and made more obstructive (also by moving them away to make up for the fact that DOF was not that different due to the differences in sensor sizes  so they moved the background away to increase the blur on it)  Too bad they don't do it anymore, there were quite a few lessons to learn about how to take a better picture.

The first set of images in the OP represented this. The 2nd set in this thread and in the original thread are totally neutralized.

"Neutralized" in this case means that you treating the processing software like a black box and assume that the processing is the same in both cases. But it is not.

I have asked you several times now to elaborate upon this assertion but to no avail.

Done in another post in the same thread.

>> IMO Bizarre landscape. Neither interesting woods, nor landscape nor architectural nor urban. Jack of all trades master of none.

What can I say? It is the perfect set-up for testing IMO

Not for me. But to each her / his own.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow