Like?
Re: Nikon Capture NX2 + D800 - help!!!
In reply to Ernie Misner, Jul 20, 2013

Ernie Misner wrote:

j_photo wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

j_photo wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

All adjustments on RAW files are the bit depth of the file.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Kaj: I don't claim to know. I've read elsewhere that the exposure compensation in quick fix is superior to adjustments made in later steps. But it's possible I remember incorrectly or the information was just wrong.

The only problem is I don't think there is a way to apply edits within the Quick Fix area selectively, only globally. So yeah, use them sparingly and wisely but globally.

-- hide signature --

I'm not talking about global vs local adjustments. The following is from a recent thread on the Flickr board that gets at what I'm talking about. As I said, I don't claim to know for sure. But I've seen this discussed before. Here is the link to the discussion: http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157632570813600/

adjustrments made in the development module are not adjusting Pixels or Pixel Values.

those adjustments are altering the Development Process

they are changing how the Data in the RAW file is interpreted
before an Image containing pixels is actually rendered
the RAW data may contain up to 2 stops of Data beyond the limit of Blown Highlights that can be recovered with an adjustment to the Data Processing

IE there is more data there than you can squeeze into a TIFF
so you can reprocess it to use Data from different areas
in film work it would be the equivalent of using a different temperature
or a different developer or a different length of time to develop the same Exposed Negative

in the adjustment Module you are adjusting Pixel Values of an image already formed
akin to printing from a developed Negative you can only mess with what is already there you can't go back to square one and start again

Hey that's cool that fllickr has a NX2 User's Group. I like it. I think we actually agree. They are saying it's advantagous to do as much as you can in the Quick View (NX2) because of the higher bit depth or whatever. Yes, sounds to be true. What I added to that is it's unfortunate we can not "select" certain areas while still in Quick View. So after exiting Quick View we still often need to resort to selecting areas for edits and go to work on those areas only. And although the highlight recovery and shadow lift in Quick View should select just those areas, they don't do a good job of that.

Fortunately it is not true. Just check the histogram when editing and compare edits in quick fix to to edit list. No difference in gaps on radical adjustments (once you let the software take its time to display the true edit).

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow