D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,994Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to Jon Rty, Jul 20, 2013

Jon Rty wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

You have failed to elaborate upon your assertion as requested. I'll have to advise readers to ignore what you are saying as complete rubbish until you do. if you are referring to "Curves" as those found in Photoshop, that is true for only one set of images I've posted in the entire two threads. Are you suggesting that the sensors themselves have a curve of their own?

Or, you could post your own side by side comp showing what you think the images should look like with completely neutral conversions. The RAWs are readily available. Please see the OP.

I've looked through thousands of images from the 5D2 and the D3x long before obtaining the 5D3 and D800E. The base contrast differences are strikingly similar. In fact, "washed out" was an insult thrown out by a Canonnite when describing the look of a Nikon image when I posted a DR comparison of the 5D2 and D3x on the Canon forum sometime back. This is what completely neutralized Canon and Nikon files look like side by side.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

You'll have to advice us? You have some funny ideas about what a OPs responsibilities in a thread are. It's not really your job to worry about how readers interpret what is written in a thread.

And yet, is it your job to advise me as to what my job is? I suggest that you debug your logic before posting.

What do you mean by completely neutralized? The same settings for both, or using a hardware calibrated profile for both?

Do you have these hardware calibrated profiles handy? if so, send them over and I will be glad to re-conduct the comparison.

Because if it's the former, then it does in no way mean that the differences are minimized, it only means that you're showing the differences between standard conversion profiles in full.

I used the "former", same settings including the same profile, Adobe Standard, which is available to everyone who uses ACR. However, I would like for TOF guy to confirm that he was refrring to camera profiles when he used the term "Curve".

Suffice it to say that the images have been neutralized to the best of my ability and consistent with other resolution comparisons posted here in the past and where you haven't brought into question the camera profile used.

For the first set of images in this thread, I used profiles developed for each individual model.

I have provided the RAWs. You are welcomed to show me how to neutralize the files for the purpose of comparing resolutions. Hint: a camera profile should not get in the way of comparing resolutions. I think most objective readers understand the difference between resolution and a tone curve.

And using the standard conversion profile between cameras does not result in minimal differences in the result between cameras, far from it. And if you tried to minimize the differences between the two cameras by eye, you didn't do that good a job of it.

I'll repeat the following:

"a camera profile should not get in the way of comparing resolutions. I think most objective readers understand the difference between resolution and a tone curve."

Not trying to be combative here so bear with me. I do not want the thread to get locked. Do you know the difference between a tone curve and resolution when you see it? I bet you do. So, I bet most everyone looking in can make the distinction too - eventually.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow