D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,915Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?
In reply to yray, Jul 20, 2013

yray wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

yray wrote:

. The D800 image in this example appears washed out even though I believe that at the pixel level it contains more fine detail.

That's because different curves were used for the images. It has nothing to do with "fine details" and "micro-contrast".

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

You may wanna check this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3173868

I'm sure it is driven entirely by the D800 envy on the other side of the isle.

I am not going to read this entire thread but the OP in said thread mirrors the opinion of died in the wool Canon shooters in general long before there was a twinkle in the eye of the D800 and 5D3 developers. In fact, "washed out" is how one Canon user described how Nikon files looked in a comparison of dynamic range (D3x vs 5D2) I posted in the Canon forum a while back when he was trying to discredit Nikon. To me, this so-called "washed out" characteristic is the same characteristic that allows one to work with shadows much easier than the Canon counterpart. It means to me that the shadows are rendered more realistically. In similar contrasty scenes, a Canon file can be rendered so dark as to require a lift drastic enough to harmfully alter color.

But, contrast and microcontrast are not what this thread is all about. Conclusions can be drawn regarding resolution independent of color and contrast particularly if they are studied without the lens of fanboi-colored glasses - of either brand. There are many areas in the scene where microcontrast doesn't mask resolution.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow