Why mirrorless over dslr?

Started Jul 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Why mirrorless over dslr?
In reply to DocOnefall, Jul 20, 2013

DocOnefall wrote:

There are some things where mirrorless just can't and likely will never compete. If you NEED 200mm f2.8 with AF, you are never going to see that in mirrorless. Why would anyone make a lens that big for a small camera. Defeats the purpose of the whole camera system.

How about people that want one system that can take a big lens when needed but also make it very small for convenience. It is something a m43 system could do, but it is not somehting a FF DSLR will ever be able to do.

So I have one system that can be very big and can be comparetively very small versus a system that only can be even bigger on one side but never nearly as small on the other? How is the mirrorless flexibility its downside?

And comparetively, some lenses also dwarf the D4 for that matter. If you need it, it doesn't matter.

So here is somehting a FF DSLR can never do: become as small as a Olympus EPL5.

And comparing FF pro level DSLR's to APS-C/micro 4/3's camera is really apples to oranges. If you NEED ( I mean really need it - not just want it) that level camera i'm not sure at this stage why you would even ask about it. However if shoot APS-C, the lines become more blurred.

If you really need MF no FF will suffice. What is the argument exactly? There are also situations where a small and lightweight cam will be much better and get the job done easier and better than any DSLR. Like shooting people without them knowing it (street shooting, shooting at parties etc). With a FF DSLR the chance of people noting you or peple starting to pose for you is very big. Etc

So it cuts both ways.

Also you have to acknowledge personal bias in this. I currently have a d5100 and NEX 6. When I use the d5100 I feel like I'm doing photography, with the NEX6 I feel more like a point and shoot pic taker.

Hell the sensor in those two cameras are both aps-c 16MP sensors made by sony! I know this is all in my head but emotionally I can't seem accept it. I still find myself really enjoying the NEX and reaching for it more and more.

Honestly at my current skill level my limiting factor is really me and not the camera system.

I understand that and shooting is also about how you feel. Just do no mix up your own feelings with the thought that htese are somehow unicersal. I have GH2 and an EPL5. GH2 has better ergonomics, but the shooting experience is not like P&S vs DSLR to me.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
EasyNew
+1New
SizeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow