Meike MK-D5100 no longer functioning after upgrading distortion control data

Started Jul 20, 2013 | Questions thread
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,239Gear list
Like?
Re: Meike MK-D5100 no longer functioning after upgrading distortion control data
In reply to Piotr70, Jul 20, 2013

Piotr70 wrote:

Is there someone else that is facing the same problem?

I used to have my battery grip always on, with two original Nikon EN-EL14 battery packs. Never had any problem until I upgraded distortion control data firmware to 1.009. Immediately after upgrading, the camera said I must use compatible batteries in order to work. If I unfit the grip and use raw batteries, no problems arise. So the problem must be the grip-to-camera connection with new firmware. But I'm reluctant to accept that a distortion control data software that only applies to jpeg images is affecting other camera functions.

What can I do? Since I'm a RAW shooter, I'm really not interested in correcting distorion in-camera for lenses that I'm not having. Is it possible to rollback to a previous firmware version?

Thanks for your help

Pietro

Hi Pietro.

Like you I can't believe, that this update affects the battery-grip.

Now I don't dare to do the upgrade - I too use Meike on my cameras.

I would try this:

Recharge battery fully.

Do you have a setting choosing which batteries to use  - check that - should be set to MD-5100 - could have been changed if the camera makes a reset after updating. (Don't have a D5100 - don't know the menus)

Does the green battery-indikator blink once, when you connect the grip? It should to show, the connection is allright.

Try to do a manufactory reset (using the menu).

I don't think you can go back from the upgrading.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow