Warning - Nikon REFUSES to replace equipment they cannot fix, even if under warranty.

Started Jun 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
BirgerH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
Re: True
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Jul 20, 2013

Sammy Yousef wrote:

BirgerH wrote:

Sammy Yousef wrote:

It's not just a bad policy. It's a terrible, nonsensical, customer hostile policy. Why are we making excuses for Nikon behaving badly? Why are we blaming the victim for not knowing internal company policy that is this bad? He didn't create the problem. Nikon did by having such a bad policy.

Hi Sammy.

In my opinion you are very wrong.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Every Company has intern policies - they do not publish them because they are internal.

That's right. Some good. Some bad. All have consequenes.

The official policy are published to customers and for Nikon they are, that they will repair a broken camera. The unofficial policy could be that they will only repair under warranty twice, and then replace (could be cheaper for them). Giving such a policy in public by telling in a mail, they could never change it. And intern policies are to be changed whenever a Company wants it to.

They don't need to confirm their internal policies in writing to assure a customer in writing that they will take a particular action in their case. And if they don't want to put it in writing they could simply proceed with their agreed course of action instead of taking it back.

It is normal procedure for every normal Company on this earth.

Please point out where I said that there should be no internal polciies, or that they must be published. That is the WORST kind of straw man argument.

The message OP got is very normal procedure too - he was told an intern policy and of course no one would give that on paper. Because it was an intern message - not an official. The official is: We will repair your camera.

Again, they do not need to publish their policy to confirm in writing what they have agreed in this one customer's case.

There is no customer hostility in this case, in my opinion.

Taking back their action because a customer dared to ask them to put in writing what they told him they wouldn't do isn't hostile? Gosh what do they have to do to be considered hostile? Punch him in the nose when he drops off his camera? Go to his house and shoot his dog?

You aren't doing Nikon any favours by supporting their bad behaviour. Treating customers badly is seldom economically viable in the long term, and Nikon doesn't have a monopoly on photographic equipment.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Hi Sammy.

I'm not trying do Nikon any favours - just trying to be fair.

You might have had some bad experiences with Nikon - but in this specific case, there are in my very best opinion no bad experience - only bad expectations.

I can't in any way see, that Nikon have treated or supported the OP badly. I can see, that the OP wanted something, that Nikon would never do (or any other Company), giving their internal policies on print. Insisting on doing that made Nikon redraw the offer. Natural to me....

And Sammy - I don't know what a "straw man" argument is (I could Google it - but don't want to) - all I said was, that every Company has their internal rules - and no one will ever give them out in public. Putting them out in an e-mail will make them committed to every one. And that all this is normal way of behaviors and not customer hostilities. That my opinion - and a fair one, I think.

BirgerH

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
TrueNew
NoNew
AllNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow