D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,287Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I envy what I own myself?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jul 20, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

jjnik wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

jjnik wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

It seems there have been a lot of threads lately trying to show the 5D3 has the same resolving power as the D800. Not sure why....

Resolution envy, maybe? I also don't get the time spent on these comparisons - some folks must have alot free time, but to each his own/whatever floats your boat!

Look - we get it: for the small size that most people view and print at, high MP is not a factor and a 6-8 MP camera would be fine. Both the 5D3 and D800 are fine cameras, but not comparable in many ways - each has it's strengths and weaknesses and folks should just accept that (imho). Though somehow I feel we'll get a different spin from certain people on the new-found value of higher resolution when a high MP Canon eventually arrives

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Sorry, that was directed at the statement about the endless threads on this simliar topic - not specifically at you, so no offense was intended. I have to say that, in my experience, if you are only looking at 1800 x 1200 images on an NEC 2690 then you won't really see any benefit to 36 MP.

No problem. There are more than a few people posting in this thread who ought to go back and read the entire text of both posts again (assuming they read it a first time) if they are going to take the stance that I need some middling schooling on digital imaging. They've missed a point or two if that is what they believe.

I have an NEC 2690 and an NEC PA271W as well and honestly don't see any real difference between my D700, D4 and D800E when viewing a full image on screen - crop in and the difference is enormous, though!

Listen, I own a 5D2, 5D3 D3x and D800E and used to own the 5D (and D700 for 2 weeks), all FF. I can honestly say I see the difference in all of them at 1800x1200, small, large, insignificant and major differences.

The phrase "see any real difference" is a whole different debate and hits the nail on the head really. Does the D800E capture any truly important additional detail?

I agree.  I also feel the D800E gives great tonality and colors.  To me, when you nail it with the D800, the images just have a special quality to them - hard to describe exactly.

I say yes, otherwise I would not have purchased it. Others say no or they can't see it. Is that detail retained as the image is down-sampled? That depends on how much down-sampling one is going to do to a given image. That's what this comparison is all about. There's a cross-over point where one can see data loss before the image becomes too small to discern finer detail.

Agreed - one issue  with 1800x 1200 on the NEC 2690 is that at my normal viewing distance, the pixel pitch and AG screen coating start to limit the ability to see the really fine details that would likely pop out on a higher res monitor, I think...

I'm looking at the images I posted at this size and I see that the image from the D800E lost a tad of resolution as a result of the reduction. So what? There shouldn't be any concern for anyone who already knew this would happen. If you don't see any difference, then what can I say? If you think the 5D3 has more detail, then all the power to you.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow