D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,114Gear list
Like?
Re: Do I envy what I own myself?
In reply to jjnik, Jul 20, 2013

jjnik wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

jjnik wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

It seems there have been a lot of threads lately trying to show the 5D3 has the same resolving power as the D800. Not sure why....

Resolution envy, maybe? I also don't get the time spent on these comparisons - some folks must have alot free time, but to each his own/whatever floats your boat!

Look - we get it: for the small size that most people view and print at, high MP is not a factor and a 6-8 MP camera would be fine. Both the 5D3 and D800 are fine cameras, but not comparable in many ways - each has it's strengths and weaknesses and folks should just accept that (imho). Though somehow I feel we'll get a different spin from certain people on the new-found value of higher resolution when a high MP Canon eventually arrives

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Sorry, that was directed at the statement about the endless threads on this simliar topic - not specifically at you, so no offense was intended. I have to say that, in my experience, if you are only looking at 1800 x 1200 images on an NEC 2690 then you won't really see any benefit to 36 MP.

No problem. There are more than a few people posting in this thread who ought to go back and read the entire text of both posts again (assuming they read it a first time) if they are going to take the stance that I need some middling schooling on digital imaging. They've missed a point or two if that is what they believe.

I have an NEC 2690 and an NEC PA271W as well and honestly don't see any real difference between my D700, D4 and D800E when viewing a full image on screen - crop in and the difference is enormous, though!

Listen, I own a 5D2, 5D3 D3x and D800E and used to own the 5D (and D700 for 2 weeks), all FF. I can honestly say I see the difference in all of them at 1800x1200, small, large, insignificant and major differences.

The phrase "see any real difference" is a whole different debate and hits the nail on the head really. Does the D800E capture any truly important additional detail? I say yes, otherwise I would not have purchased it. Others say no or they can't see it. Is that detail retained as the image is down-sampled? That depends on how much down-sampling one is going to do to a given image. That's what this comparison is all about. There's a cross-over point where one can see data loss before the image becomes too small to discern finer detail.

I'm looking at the images I posted at this size and I see that the image from the D800E lost a tad of resolution as a result of the reduction. So what? There shouldn't be any concern for anyone who already knew this would happen. If you don't see any difference, then what can I say? If you think the 5D3 has more detail, then all the power to you.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow