FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,601Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't be afraid...
In reply to kenn threed, Jul 20, 2013

kenn threed wrote:

Midwest wrote:
...Super long, slow zooms are nothing more than party tricks. You're not likely to get many - or any - photos that would be worthy other than for how far away the subject was.
...This FZ70 just lumps in with the other ridiculous long super mega zooms.

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

...The real use is photographing things like small birds from as little as 4- 5 meters away from the camera.

Kevin is right of course...
Many who use mega-zooms to shoot birds and other wildlife at reasonable distances already know this. Yet many others will continue to steadfastly proclaim the uselessness of these cameras, ignoring any and all evidence to the contrary...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1279000
But that's ok. Superzooms aren't for everybody.

The FZ70 is apparently designed to compete with the Nikon P510/20 and Canon SX50, both of which are quite popular with birders (and many other users for a wide variety of applications). How well it will compete remains to be seen, but at least those in this market segment who prefer Panasonic cameras will now have an affordable option for extreme focal-length photography.

Like most new offerings in every category, the FZ70 will be met with a lot of skepticism. But I'll be very surprised if no one gets worthy photos with it.

And I still hope we see a worthy successor to the FZ200 also.

Kenn

-- hide signature --

Kenn & Temple - Backyard Birders in St.Louis, MO USA
http://kenn3d.smugmug.com
http://kenn3d.wordpress.com [Backyard Birding with Kenn & Temple]

As a birding photographer who uses my FZ200 frequently on izoom, I couldn't agree more. Long zooms aren't for everybody, but they have their uses and I must confess a little bit of envy creeps in when I see some of the excellent shots taken with the Canon SX50 at 1200mm equivalent, including some in lower light. The criticism of this camera (FZ70) is interesting because it comes from both ends, some saying the 20mm wide angle will be completely useless and others saying the same thing about the 1200mm end. One fact is that no one has seen in image from either end from a production model and another is that Panasonic were way behind the competition with the FZ60. I don't think it sold very well, as there was not a lot of discussion of it on this forum. Now they have a product that will compete very favourably with its competition's products, in fact, going on the paper specs, I would say its a better camera, but real world test will tell and a new Canon will be out in a month or so as well. It will be interesting to see what they come up with, as they have been the dominant super dooper zoom for some time now. I also wonder where these cameras can go from here. Do they produce a zoom that goes to 1500mm, or do they start making improvements in other neglected areas like better viewfinders? I'm assuming the megapixel race will continue ad nauseum. Still waiting on the FZ200's replacement. I'm an optimist.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow