M4/3 lenses with fast autofocus? and question about step up rings with panny 20mm

Started Jul 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
magnusrn
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
M4/3 lenses with fast autofocus? and question about step up rings with panny 20mm
Jul 20, 2013

Firstly, I'm planning on getting the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 to go with my gh2, basically to have the ability to put in my pocket and whip it out when something interesting happens fast(missed out on a lot of funny/interesting moments because my camera was all the way in my bag, which was then stuffed inside another bag.

I'm going to be getting a 58mm nd16 and 58mm cpl and just use stepup rings(stepdown on my 70-210) but I saw somewhere on the internet that if you use step-up rings with the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and you turn the camera off, the lens sucks the outer barrel in(just like when focussing), and if the step-up ring gets in the way it could jam and break the lens, I was wonder if this was a possibility?

And secondly, due to the lack of information on m4/3 lenses(compared to say canon/nikon) I'm curious about the autofocus speed of various panasonic/olympus lenses.

I find the panasonic 14-42 kit lens more than fast enough, really shows how far cdaf has come.

I'm going to be shooting mainly skiing, and although I can pre-focus a lot of the time, there's a lot of unexpected moments where fast af is essential. There's an abundance of light and contrast so it doesn't need to be a fast lens, when I need a fast lens with auto-focus the 20mm will do, and I'll get some vintage primes if I'm after something more tele, but at the moment it's not a priority.

So that leads me to needing a tele lens with autofocus(I've got my 70-210 f/4 but I'm only gonna be using that when I'm shooting from a long distance, using ETC mode to get 1200mm~ and I can set the focus in advance. But when there's unpredictability, I need auto-focus, and I need it fast.
I'm looking for a tele zoom lens, and it needs to be Fast focussing(I consider the 14-42 pretty damn fast(after being used to the uselessness of the tamron 17-50)) image stabilization would be nice, but not essential at all. Focal length wise I'd be after something from 30-70, to 100-200, 35-100 is a bit out of my budget.

If anybody has any suggestions based on my criteria that'd be very useful, if anybody could comment on IQ & focus speed of the following that'd be good:

olympus 40-150

panasonic 45-150

panasonic 45-175

panasonic 45-200

panasonic 14-140

Any other suggestions would be good too thanks.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
goodNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow