D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,326Gear list
Like?
You've missed the point somewhat.
In reply to TOF guy, Jul 20, 2013

TOF guy wrote:

The images are not processed the same. The foliage in the D800 image is clearly brighter while it is more in the mid tones in the 5d3 image. Which mean that the D800 foliage ends up where the gamma curve is less steep - making details harder to discern - and where human visions requires larger differences to get the same impression of details (Weber's law ). Foliage is pretty much devoid of fine details - but it has with a lot of subtle differences in greens in particular because the leaves are not uniformly illuminated. The foliage looses its 3D aspects if these differences are washed out as it is the case here in the D800 image due to poor image processing.

So the 1st step is to normalize levels. The exposure may not be the same (differences in camera settings or true ISO values ?) and / or curves need to be applied

I've done this already in several other comparisons. It was time to look at the images from the viewpoint of how my OWN processing workflow melded with the imagery. The first set of images in the OP represented this. The 2nd set in this thread and in the original thread are totally neutralized.

There are some more subtle differences. A breeze is creating wavelets in part of the water surface in the 5D3 image, but other parts of the water surface are still and the trees reflections are sharp. The wavelets also contributes to make the scene less monotonous.

You know why I like this scene? It gives you everything from wind blown trees to stationary lines in the buildings. Of course, there is the rotating earth. Just kidding man.

By contrast there is not a clear indication of wind on the D800 image, no wavelets on the surface, but the water surface must be moving where the tree reflections are because these reflections are blurred. This gives the false impression that the D800 may not capture the details in the reflections because there is no obvious clue in that shot that the wind is blowing (we know it from the 5d3 image).

Even if everything were equal this is not a good scene to compare how details fare after downsizing. For this purpose you need a picture with lots of finer details.

I think it is for those of us who do landscapes. It is absolutely perfect.

But thank you for sharing the images and starting a good discussion.

Absolutely welcome. I already have ideas for two new comparisons.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow