D800E vs. 5D3: Diminishing Returns or Reversal of Returns?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,994Gear list
Like?
My comparison was not about the 5D3 per se.
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Jul 19, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

It seems there have been a lot of threads lately trying to show the 5D3 has the same resolving power as the D800.

You have access to the RAWs. Prove whatever it is that you want to prove but don't assign false meaning to my post.

Not sure why....the D800 holds a 28% linear resolution advantage that is easily seen when good optics are used.

Has anyone seen the possibility of a focus error in the optics used for my comparison?

It equates to one extra print size....say 20x30 over 16x24 for the 5D3.

I don't know about the numbers you state above but I would agree wholeheartedly with the spirit of your assertion for the full-size images or even images reduced. All I am saying is that there could be a diminishing return at play here.

When I made my purchase decision to go with the Nikon over the Canon, I just cropped a 12x18 out of a 20x30 print and made my decision.

As I said in my OP, the D800E images are fine if not viewed too closely.

It was obvious in print the D800 had more resolving power. We wont even mention the difference in DR.

My comparison was not about the 5D3 per se. It was strictly about resolution.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow