ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,688Gear list
Like?
6D pic has almost 13 EV Histogram in DPP
Jul 19, 2013

In a previous thread aftab wrote:

As you said, more DR is better. It gives you more leverage and more ways to express your artistic intention. Gives you more freedom.

I am giving you (and others) two RAW files to play with, one from 6D and the other from D600. At first glance it may appear that I have underexposed the scene, actually I didn't. Because of the position of the sun and the depth of the cloud there were extreme bright and dark areas in the clouds, I just exposed for the bright areas (even did some +EV, can't remember how much).

Download 6Dtwo and D600two from here.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=fd3f41a61a35991d#cid=FD3F41A61A35991D&id=FD3F41A61A35991D%21339

Of course I can do a lot in the post with 6D file, but I can do a lot more with D600 file.

I rarely come across this kind of situation, so 5DIII remains my favorite tool. But to have that potential in Canon cameras would be a good thing. It is like having clean high ISO, I may hardly use them, but I can when I need to.

-- hide signature --

hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

In addition to the files mentioned, there were several other CR2 files from the Canon 6D that pushed the dynamic range of the camera.

One of those files caught my eye, and I contacted him and asked if I could use the picture here.

Here's the photo as shot

Here's the image loaded in DPP

Here's the RAW histogram from DPP showing almost 13 EV of data.

Here's the shadow end pushed in DPP.

Pushed histogram

Here's the highlight end pulled in DPP.

Pulled histogram.

Must be 'Magic Pixie Dust'!

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
yepNew
OuchNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow