Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mikhail Tal
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Racism, Culturism, and Bigotry
Jul 19, 2013

If someone said "I disapprove of black people" or "I disapprove of the black race," you would call them a racist bigot, and rightfully so.

If instead they said "I disapprove of anarchists" or "I disapprove of anarchy," would they still be a bigot, albeit not necessarily of the racist variety? My guess is that most people would answer "no."

Obviously the major difference here is that one can choose whether or not to be an anarchist or support anarchy, while nobody can choose their race. However, it must be noted that a person's views on anarchy might be greatly influenced by their parents'/guardians' views on anarchy, if they were highly supportive or highly opposed to it. A child raised by two anarchist parents is very likely to adopt his or her parents' anarchist views, and the same can be said of any political, religious, or philosophical belief system. It is not a guarantee of course, just a very high probability. Nevertheless, I believe that since it is theoretically possible for anyone to adopt or disavow any such view, most people won't consider disapproval of anarchy to qualify someone as a bigot.

I raise this point preemptively in preparation for discussing cultures and belief systems that are dominated by a particular race. The anarchist community, small as it is, is actually reasonably racially diverse compared to the entire population of America, so we can easily isolate the variable of culture or creed. But when we consider the American hip hop culture, it is very difficult if not impossible to do so because blacks comprise the overwhelming majority of the hip hop culture. So it is very easy to accuse someone who disapproves of the hip hop culture to be rationalizing or covering up for the fact that what they really disapprove of is the black race. However, one could make the case that disapproving of hip hop is no different than disapproving of anarchism; regardless of how one was culturally raised, they still associate with the hip hop culture of their own volition, therefore it is not patently unfair to disapprove of the culture. or those who identify with it, even if they happen to be almost all black.

So the question I have for you is, is such an argument plausible? Can someone disapprove of voluntarily formed groups that are comprised entirely or almost entirely of a single race, without being a racist? If the answer is no, would that apply to near-universally white groups such as rednecks, hillbillies, and the NRA members?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow