Started Jul 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MrFlash
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
A devoted Fuji fanboy just ordered an OM-D
Jul 19, 2013

I’ve been full circle with the X system. I bought the x100 when it came out and instantly fell in love. Then the X-Pro debuted and I had to have it. Sold the x100 and jumped in. (always regretted selling the x100). Then came a zoom. Then the 14mm. Then the X-e1 for the zoom. Then another zoom. Now the x100s. (I probably should save some money for a good divorce lawyer)  

Somewhere along the road I lost my way. I pick up my bag and say to myself ‘Jeez this is heavy. I could’ve just kept the EOS stuff!’.

Upon reflection I realized that a small, lightweight kit with fast primes is what appealed to me about this system in the first place. What am I doing?

I love the Fuji primes, but I want (I need) short and medium tele-photo primes. The 60mm is as sharp as a scorned woman’s tongue but trying to get that thing to focus drives me batty.

Enter Olympus. The E-M5 has always been appealing to me. I was just browsing the Oly system and then started checking prices on the ‘Bay. A 12mm f/2 for $550?, a 17mm f/1.8 for $400?, a 45mm f/1.8 for $275? and a 75mm f/1.8 for $700? WOW. If reviews are to be believed, these lenses are as good as the Fuji glass and the lenses are all stabilized (not to mention significantly cheaper).

The upcoming Fuji 56mm f/1.2 is estimated to cost at least $1000. The Oly 45mm f/1.8 offers about the same FOV and cost a third? And the idea of a 150mm (equiv.) stabilized f/1.8 prime is intoxicating.

So I placed an order and I am looking forward to my own ‘shoot-out’ between the xe-1 w/ the 60mm and the OM-D w/ the 45mm. I know before I start that the Oly won’t be able to compete with the x-e1 at high ISO’s, but the Oly, with a stabilized lens that is a full stop faster may be able to keep up.

If the Oly wins, a lot of pristine Fuji stuff will be hitting the ‘Bay. I will however, no matter what, hold onto the x100s. I won’t make that mistake twice.

After I’ve had a chance to play with the Oly, I’ll post again.

MrFlash

MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow