RX100M2 Petition for Minimum shutter speed, should I bother?

Started Jul 19, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitalphotographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 502Gear list
Like?
RX100M2 Petition for Minimum shutter speed, should I bother?
Jul 19, 2013

Disclaimer first, I've never owned a Sony camera before, until this RX100M2. I own and have used multiple Nikon, Olympus, Ricoh and Fujifilm, but never Sony before, simply because it has a reputation of an electronics company catering to the masses. My perception changed when they won Best compact and camera of the Year 2012 with RX1 and RX100.

From the moment I received the RX100M2, I have fallen in love with it. Aside from the weird swivel screen issue documented here (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3518735), it's the best compact camera ever made. Everything about it is sexy, beautiful and sleek. But unfortunately it has some really really bad habits. I'm talking real nasty ones.

One that I cannot live with is its stubbornness to not let me set the minimum shutter speed so I can get the Aperture I want while ISO floats. I know it was designed by probably Gen XYZ and intended to be used by of cool kids, maybe it just doesn't care what I need as a photographer. It won't even let me use Auto-ISO in Manual mode, unless I step up to RX1 which has a $2000+ difference. (Don't even get me started on how S-mode is a work-around, it's not, these are fundamentally different shooting styles)

Checking around, I realized that many others have been asking for the same thing since RX100, and I couldn't find a single statement or response from Sony in the whole wide net about whether they intend or will ever deliver this request, even though all other cameras that I own or have used at this type of price point is equipped with this standard feature. This is just sheer arrogance, or ignorance, or pride, or intentional?

So my question is, if this is a feature that I can't live without, should I join the mass of disappointed RX100 owners or return it now while it's still within the return window? Is a petition pointless for a company that is so gigantic and has such a bad reputation in customer service towards photographers?

digitalphotographer's gear list:digitalphotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
thxNew
thxNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow