Pentax as first DSLR?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Unexpresivecanvas
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
Re: Pentax as first DSLR?
In reply to vjk2, Jul 19, 2013

I believe there is a general miss-conception that all Canon lenses are excessively expensive.

Canon lenses come in different versions. Regular EF lenses are very affordable, i.e.: 40mm.2.8 cost $134, a full frame pancake lenses way, way cheaper than the equivalent Pentax offering, which retails for $439.. The Canon 40mm was reviewed a little ago by DPR and they found it to be an excellent value: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm/. This is what they concluded: "The Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM is a fairly unprepossessing little lens, and its tiny size and relatively low price might make you wonder whether significant compromises have been made in its design and construction. But the moment you start shooting with it and looking at the images it produces, any such thoughts rapidly disappear - it's actually a very fine lens."

The Canon 85mm/1.8 is considered one of the best lenses for portrait photography and  can be found for as low as $349, way cheaper than Pentax version.It produces just outstanding images in any FF. Please have a look at http://www.flickriver.com/lenses/canon/canonef85mmf18usm/

The 50mm/1.8 also is great value and cost about $100.The same lens in Pentax costs $249.

Th Canon 100mm/1.8 macro retail for $439, while the equivalent in Pentax costs $750, the price difference in this case may come form the Pentax being WR.

If you are going to buy "L" glass, top of the line, yes,it can bereally expensive. For example a 50mm/1.2 L II costs $1,299. But few people worry about this kind of lens. I have the 50mm/1.4 and I am really happy with it. I paid $299 during a promotion on Amazon.

For the kind of photography I believe YardCoyote is interested she probably will need only the Canon 40mm ($134 and the Canon EF 85mm $345). Those lenses are versatile and excellent optics for the price.

Another advantage of buying canoln is that it is a mainstream brand, with thousands of available used lenses and very well supported by third party manufacturers like Samyang/Rokinon Sigma/ Tamron/ Konica/ Yongnuo/ so on.

Also the advantage of buying FF lenses is that they can retrofit in the smaller sensor bodies, in case one day she comes across a very good deal for an APS-c. Most of the time, in terms of lens compatibility you want to go from FF into APS-C and no the other way. APS-c lenses are limited basically to aps-c bodies, while lenses designed for FF can be used in both systems, and in aps-c they become 50% longer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow