Pentax as first DSLR?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,402Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax as first DSLR?
In reply to Unexpresivecanvas, Jul 18, 2013

I just went out and looked at 5Ds in various places on the internet-- they seem to be highly desirable cameras, since they are still going for some pretty large money though obviously much less than they did when new.  And they are quite good looking, with rather more conservative proportions than some newer models.  Just to be sure I understand-- full frame (FF) DSLRs are the equivalent of 35 mm film cameras as regards the focal length of lenses: 35 mm is a mild wide angle, 50 a "normal" prime, 100 a moderate tele, and so on?  I'm assuming this means they have larger sensors than the APS-Cs I am looking at, and I'm also assuming larger sensors are always better.

I also noticed this is a 12.8 megapixel camera, which I admit is a bit shocking considering that my Canon point and shoot has 14.1.  I gather you are one of those people who think other considerations outweigh MP count unless you are in the habit of shooting images to be enlarged to billboard size?  I tend to that position myself, insofar as I'm well informed enough to have an opinion.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow