FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Hands On Preview at Imaging Resource.com - doesn't help.
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Jul 18, 2013

That's also one of my causes.  Occassionally someone will do the research and publish it.  Camera Labs did that for a couple of long zooms including the SX10IS.  Some I've done myself, as you have; and in a few cases, from gallery shots you can look for the longest focal lenths for a given aperture and tabulate those.  Usually takes two or three galleries to get enough data points.

Plotted on semi-log paper one can see how the aperture changes with f/#.  I've found that plotting focal length on the horizontal logarithmic axis, and f/# on the linear vertical axis works best.  I use paper with 1" major linear divisions and plot one f/# per inch.  (f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, etc)  Some lenses plot as a nearly straight line; but most show curvature.  The Panasonic FZ28 & FZ35, and the FZ150 plot as fairly fast and a straight line up to about 80% of max focal length and then curve upward sharply at the end.  A hockey stick shape.  Canons from the SX10IS onwards show a fast rise to smaller apertures and then fairly slowly over the rest of the range - a hump backed shape.  I much prefer linear or hockey stick as it gets a faster lens at middle focal lengths.

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow