Thieves in St. Petersburg stealing a camera lens from a tourist Locked

Started Jul 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Cipher
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Knowledge is power...
In reply to Riki, Jul 18, 2013

I did my research before I went to Paris last month. I read about all the scams and tricks (pickpockets) use to try to separate you from your gear. I was on Google and Youtube studying all the tricks used and I was prepared when I got there. No sooner had I picked up my luggage at the airport and making my way to the train when I was approached by the "Sign a petition" people. I waved them off and walked right past them. Next I was approached by a "Do you speak English" person. Again, just ignored her. For most of the time I kept my gear in my bag and a Sony RX100 in my front pocket for quick shots. Someone tried the "Is this your gold ring" scam on me at Arc de Triomphe.  I just laughed and kept on going.  I was always aware of people behind me.  One time I noticed someone standing behind me as I was waiting in line for a Crepe.  I turned and stared at him and he walked away.  I also took note of the gypsy girls at the entrance to the grounds of the Louvre.  They would look at people's bags as they walked by for opportunities.  What happened to that guy on the video could happen anywhere.  When I got back to Canada amd one of the stories I read in a newspaper was of someone being robbed of his cellular phone by a gang of punks.  Just don't be a target and they'll leave you alone.

Cipher's gear list:Cipher's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +12 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow