Quick opinions on Nikon prime lens for D7000, and reliability of lens review websites

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,341Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick opinions on Nikon prime lens for D7000, and reliability of lens review websites
In reply to EyesHigh, Jul 18, 2013

EyesHigh wrote:

Firstly, can prime lenses be used for landscape / nature photography and if so how well suited are they? (I have read primes lenses, depending on focal lengths, make great portrait lenses but I am unsure of how they will cope in outdoor/mountain terrain).

There are some excellent prime lenses for landscape. The Zeiss 21mm for example. Simply being a prime lens does not make it the best choice for portrait as such - you need the right focal length for the best perspective; it could be prime or zoom.

Secondly, in researching prime lens options across a small number of sites (namely DxO Mark/Lab, Photozone, and, of course, DPReview) I have found very in-depth, almost statistical, information regarding the sharpness, distortion, vignetting, aberrations, bokeh/bokeh fringing, and light transmission of each of the lenses I am considering; based on these stats., some lenses, apparently, should be avoided and others be researched further. But, how well do these review sites correlate with one another and how accurate are their testing methods and findings (trust-able)?

There are a lot of these sites now, but bear in mind these are lab tests. Take care that you understand what the results are telling you. One lens having a bit more resolution than another does not make it a better lens. I look at the resuilts from SLR Gear and DXO and the like, but I much prefer real-world user reviews with actual images as opposed to test charts. Depending on what you want to shoot different factors come into play. Test charts won't tell you anything about focus speed or bokeh for example.

Thirdly, the prime lenses I am considering at this stage are the Nikon 50mm 1.4D, 1.8G, or 1.8D, and the Nikon 35mm 1.8 G; opinions and experiences with any of these? (Any other, perhaps wider, prime lens options?)

I like 35mm or wider as a standard lens on DX. I had a Nikon 35mm f1.8 and a Sigma 24mm f1.8, both of which I really liked. I find 50mm a bit useless on DX, a bit long as a standard lens, often too long in tight space e.g. indoors, yet not long enough for portrait. Other users do like it though so it's up to you.

And finally, are there any additional websites that conduct in-depth lens reviews I could search for before purchasing a new lens?

I like Thom Hogan. My favourite reviwer was Bjorn Rorslett but I don't think he keeps his web site up to date. You could look for him on Nikongear but he's not that active..

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top

http://nikongear.com/live/index.php/page/about_us

Any information on any of these questions would be very much appreciated,

Thank you in advance.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow