Pentax as first DSLR?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
australopithecus
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
I am in a similar situation
In reply to yardcoyote, Jul 18, 2013

Like you I used, and enjoyed using several Pentax SLRs dating back to 1965 !  My early ones (2 of them) had screw-mount bodies (for Takumar lenses) and later on I owned several K-mount Pentaxes.  With the dawning of the digital age, I purchased a good "prosumer" for starters.

Three Pentax "legacy" lenses were then confined to the cupboard.

However, I am now seriously considering the purchase of the new K50 (the K30, as good as it is, looks a bit way out - design-wise, for me. But that's a personal thing).

Ironically, my first - and only - DSLR has been a Panasonic Lumix G1 which I purchased in 2009. Having carried a Nikon Coolpix 8400 about for five years, I didn't want the bulk of an APS-C sensored DSLR, they are rather large.  But having said this, they certainly outperform most premium conpacts.

It really is a question of "horses for courses", and I think it's the reason why so many active photographers have two (and sometimes more) digital cameras.  One for portability, the other for more serious work.

You mention the Fuji X20, a very tempting offering, especially as it has a unique viewfinder (I don't buy cameras without viewfinders) and is reasonably compact. A superb choice as a "second" camera.

But to answer your question:  Yes, If I were you, I would buy a K50 (or for that matter a K30) as these cameras offer a lot for a fair price.  They also offer focus-peaking which will make working with your older, manual-focussing lenses, far easier.

-- hide signature --

Dave

australopithecus's gear list:australopithecus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow