FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?

Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 Announced. Is This Just Another Frankencamera?
In reply to John McCormack, Jul 18, 2013

Clearly designed on spec's to compete with Canon's SX50 HS (24-1200m zoom) which in turn matched the already large FZ-200 in size. Compared to these the FZ70 is frankly huge, and compared to earlier FZ's very heavy to lug about:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=panasonic_dmcfz35&products=panasonic_dmcfz60&products=panasonic_dmcfz70&products=canon_sx50hs&products=panasonic_dmcfz200&sortDir=ascending

My son just bought an FZ60 at $269 for a safari. It uses a proven Leica designed lens, is significantly smaller and lighter and basically has all the same features other than the monster zoom which will almost certainly produce questionable image quality at the wide end and long end.

With its excellent 5-axis IBIS my E-M5/75-300mm (150-600mm equivalent) combination manages to get reliably steady shots fully extended. I really question the ability of a cheap zoom on a small sensored camera to double this capability with any useful reliability.

Tests and user reports will tell the story, but I'm not expecting any miracles. My take, a marketing gimmick to keep up with the competition resulting in an oversized and heavy camera. You're going the wrong way for me, Panny.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow