"I dream of wires"... are you kidding me?

Started Jul 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ConanFuji
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?
Re: From the Art Director
In reply to Tim A2, Jul 18, 2013

Tim A2 wrote:

jezsik wrote:

As the challenge host, I had some preconceived ideas as to what would work for this imaginary newspaper article. I was quite hoping for some brightly lit spools of colorful wire or side lit macros of wires spewing from some sort of electronic device. Sadly, there were an awful lot of pictures of sky ... which don't look so good in a newspaper.

Were I to play the role of a real Art Director, I would have returned nearly all the entries. The one that best illustrates the article is the 15th place finisher. The 9th place, Signal Flow, and 18th place finisher, Colorful Wires, were also quite good.

I've come to expect the unexpected in these challenges, with people (mis)interpreting the rules any which way they can to get their entry in. The sad part is the number of barely acceptable images. This challenge is a good example. There are very few really good photos in the whole lot. Granted, people don't shoot many wires, so it was, in the true sense of the word, a challenge. I doubt many folks went out to shoot specifically for this challenge, so we have a pretty lackluster showing. I think voters were just giving higher votes to things with more wires rather than artistic interpretation.

It is very interesting to look at the OP's entry and complaint in light of your expections as the host. By the way I think you are one of the "good guys" among the hosts here and I thank you for all your work in providing us with so many excellent challenges. One possible suggestion would be to keep in mind that the actual target photographers of a real Art Director are vastly different from the DPR challenge entrants and voters.

Tim

Yes, I agree, Jezsik is a role model for Challenge Hosts.  As well as Barb.

ConanFuji's gear list:ConanFuji's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F500 EXR Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow