Started Jul 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,726Gear list
Like?
Welcome to our World FZ200 owners
Jul 18, 2013

Though I have hated Panasonic's move away from the FZ50 every moments since, I at least considered my companions here to be enjoying the gradual development of the FZ into at least a decent motorised camera. And when the FZ200 hit that constant F2.8 I was genuinely impressed.

Not impressed now. This score sheet model is a real shame and I feel for you guys, genuinely. Some like myself will doubtless welcome a bit more camera to hold, but that will alienate just as many others.

People in my threads wonder why I can't live with the 300mm equivalent zoom on the MFT superzoom lens. I like and need the 420mm on the FZ50. But. I consider that all I ever need.

For the birders and other folk dead set on maximum zoom this update is a horror story. Lens made by who!. 1200mm F5.9 is not going to get you the bird, not with all that is involved with that shot. You have just lost dawn, dusk and woodland for a start.

To have, in a first impression, notice of compromises in quality to meet a $399 tag, some of you with the money must feel like weeping. I don't care that some of you will consider my reaction to the announcement premature and judgemental, I am personally horrified at the announcement.

How do you hold 1200mm F5.9 steady?

The FZ200, like the FZ50, had a winning formula to build on. And like the FZ50, Panasonic consider market trends a reason to mess it all up. There are such things as elite cameras, cameras that are just too good not to buy. Panasonic plainly do not stop at a good lens and develop the rest of the camera around it. What a pity.

But move on guys. Buy this thing. Don't get locked in history like the FZ50 boys and girls. The FZ50 remains both the past and the future. It will appear again. But not so for the FZ200. Its update was to the same format or template. The FZ200 is lost. Look after it.

-- hide signature --

The FZ50: DSLR handling of a bright, non-extending Leica 35-420mm F2.8-3.7 lens. I live in hope that Mr Ichiro Kitao, Mr Michiharu Uematsu and Mr Yoshiyuki Inoue have triggered the update to the FZ50. Please update the FZ50. It is unique and users of it cannot update without compromise of one or more of its combination of features. Full tribute here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=42366095 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow